Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Along two months

My summer is not going as I planned. In early June, we learned my dad had cancer. The doctors said it was a fast-moving cancer and though we could choose to subject daddy to intense treatments, in the end it might prolong his life only a month or so.

He opted to go home. He came home on a Thursday. I arrived on Sunday in Texas to help care for him. My brothers and sisters and I shared the responsibilities. Never leaving Daddy alone. Always one person dedicated to his every need. He died the following Sunday morning. It was father's day.

After the funeral, I rushed home. We had to move, and we had to help my son pack up his house and move. We're not thrilled about that. He and his family have left Florida for a new job opportunity. That's good for them, and we support them. But we're sad.

Because Robin had to stay at her job for two weeks, Ray and I helped with the move. We're still in Illinois. We're still at loose ends.

No house awaits our return. No jobs await our return. I'm still freelancing, so my job moves with me. But I miss Florida.

Who knows what the future will bring in the weeks ahead. We're just along for the ride.

No comments: